As the world celebrates Book Lover’s Day on the 9th of August, the online language learning provider Preply released a report on The Most Translated Books in the World.
Preply has compared 195 countries and researched the most translated book produced by an author from each country. When necessary, they have relied on data from the World Cat Library to find out the title that is available in most languages. They then visualized the data into an easily digestible infographic.
Preply has disregarded religious texts, and omitted countries with titles translated less than 5 times.
Overall, Preply found children’s literature dominating the first positions. “The Little Prince” by Antoine de Saint- Exupéry is number one. It currently holds the Guinness record for the most translated author for the same book.
In the U.S.A, Ron L. Hubbard’s “The Way to Happiness” is the most translated book of all time, a title primarily used as a recruitment tool by Scientology.
Here are the top 10 most translated books per country:
- The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (382+ languages) – France
- The Adventures of Pinocchio by Carlo Collodi (300+ languages) – Italy
- Alice’s adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carrol (175+ languages) – England
- Andersen’s Fairy Tales by Hans Christian Andersen (160+ languages) –Denmark
- Testament by Taras Shevchenko (150+ languages) – Ukraine
- The Ingenious Gentleman Don Quixote of La Mancha by Miguel de Cervantes (140+ languages) – Spain
- The Way to Happiness by L. Ron Hubbard (112+ languages) – U.S.A
- The Adventures of Tintin by Georges Prosper Remi (93+ languages) – Belgium
- The Tragedy of Man by Imre Madách (90+ languages) – Hungary
- The Alchemist by Paulo Cohelo (80+ languages) – Brazil
Ranking by continent:
- The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (382+ languages) – Europe
- The Way to Happiness by L. Ron Hubbard (112+ languages) – North America
- The Alchemist by Paulo Cohelo (80+ languages) – South America
- The Upright Revolution: Or Why Humans Walk Upright by Ngũgĩ wa Thiong’o (63+languages) – Africa
- Autobiography of a Yogi by Paramahansa Yogananda (50+ languages) – Asia
- The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough (20+ languages) – Oceania
To view ‘The Most Translated Books in the World’ visit URL: